- Welcome to the Glenrothes High School website
- School finishes on Friday 29th June at 12.15
- Wishing all members of our school community a relaxing summer break
- School resumes for pupils on Wed 15th August at 08.45
- Mon 13th & Tues 14th August are In-service training days for staff
RYLA Winner: Pupil Leadership at GHS
RYLA (Rotary Youth Leadership Awards)
RYLA is a leadership programme coordinated by Rotary Clubs of Glenrothes and around the globe.
Each year since 1991, Rotary Clubs covering central and southern Scotland have offered young people between the ages of 15 and 17 the opportunity to participate in the unique Rotary Youth Leader Award, or RYLA. The aim of RYLA is to encourage the development of teamwork and leadership skills in young people who have the potential to be future community, professional and business leaders by making use of a residential experience and outward bound activities. Young people in the senior phase at school are sponsored by Glenrothes Rotary Club to attend a week long leadership program in the early summer at a camp in Abernethy.
Participants are chosen for their leadership potential and all costs associated with the program are covered by the Rotary.
Rotary clubs and districts select participants and facilitate the event's curriculum.
RYLA aims to:
- Demonstrate Rotary's respect and concern for youth;
- Provide an effective training experience for selected youth and potential leaders;
- Encourage leadership of youth by youth;
- Recognise publicly young people who are giving service to their communities.
Every RYLA programme covers the following core topic.
- Fundamentals of leadership
- Ethics of positive leadership
- Importance of communication skills in effective leadership
- Problem-solving and conflict management
- Rotary's purpose and service to the community
- Building self-confidence and self-esteem
- Elements of community and global citizenship